Golden Gate Pork & Clam ChowderPORK
This Portuguese-inspired stew is named for San Francisco’s North Beach neighborhood. Serve with sourdough bread and expect everyone to ask for seconds.
- 2 lb. boneless pork shoulder (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp. sweet paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 Tbsp. bacon drippings (OR vegetable oil, divided)
- 2 onions (coarsely chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes
- 14.5 oz. chicken broth
- 13 oz. clams (chopped, undrained)
- 4 oz. smoked ham (diced)
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1/4 cup cilantro (minced)
- 1/4 cup parsley (minced)
- In a 1-gallon self-sealing plastic bag combine pork, wine, lime juice, paprika, bay leaf, salt and pepper, and garlic. Mix well, seal bag and marinate at room temperature 2 hours.
- Drain pork well, reserving marinade. Pat pork dry. Heat 1 tablespoon bacon drippings in Dutch oven over high heat. Brown pork cubes in batches, do not crowd. Remove pork and reserve. Heat remaining bacon drippings and cook and stir onion and green pepper for 5 minutes. Stir in reserved marinade, tomatoes, broth, undrained clams, ham and cayenne. Return pork to Dutch oven, bring mixture to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook gently for 1 1/4 hours until pork is very tender. Garnish individual servings with cilantro and parsley.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories290Calories from Fat80|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat80|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes