Gnocchi is a traditional Italian type of pasta The particular thing about this pasta is that it is made of potatoes, eggs and flour, whereas all the other pasta types are made of flour and eggs…
They are particularly tasty but also since they contain potatoes and flour it is also quite a heavy meal. So I usually try to serve them with lighter and simpler sauces.
But you can actually serve them in whatever sauce you like. They go really well in a creamy cheese sauce but they are also absolutely delicious baked in the oven. Cook the gnocchi in boiling water until they come up to the surface. Drain. Put the gnocchi into a baking pan, add the tomato sauce and mozzarella. Sprinkle the parmigiano on the top and cook in the oven for 10 mins at 220° C.
I learnt this recipe from a friend of mine. It is not Italian (the recipe, but neither the friend is), but when I tried I decided to adopt it as one of my recipes. I am not sure where it comes from. It might be greek even though he was not greek.
It is so simple and fresh that it is ideal for this summery weather.
I would serve it as a main in a nice summer party in the garden.
- 300 grams flour
- 1 egg
- 1 kilogram potatoes
- 300 grams mushrooms
- 15 grams fresh ginger
- fresh dill (chopped)
- 90 grams butter
- Wash the potatoes and boil them in boiling salted water until soft. While the potatoes are cooking prepare the sauce.
- Heat up some olive oil. Add the grated mushrooms and sautee. Let it cook for half an hour on medium fire. Adding water from time to time. After 30 minutes, add the grated ginger and sautee for other two minutes. Turn off the fire and add the dill. Once the potatoes are done, peel them when they are still warm and mash them.
- Form a fountain with the sifted flour and add the salt and the potatoes to it. Start kneading it. When soft enough add the egg to it and keep kneading until the dough is soft and smooth.
- Divide the dough into small pieces and form a line of 2/3 cm large. Cut small pieces of 1.5 cm. As you cut them, put them on a surface where you poured some flour so they won't stick on it. Use the gnocchi streakers to form the little curve typical of the gnocchi. If you do not own one you can use a fork.
- Boil them in boiling salted water until they come to the surface. Fry the gnocchi in abundant butter and then sautee them with the mushrooms sauce. Eat warm.
|Calories650Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.