- 3 oranges
- 3 apples (red-skinned, peeled, quartered, cored and chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup gluten free bread mix
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
- butter (melted, to grease)
- To make the compote, finely grate the zest of 1 orange. Place zest in a heatproof bowl. Using a sharp knife, cut away peel and white pith from zested orange and 1 of the remaining oranges. Holding fruit over the bowl, cut between membranes to release segments and catch any juice. Set aside.
- Juice remaining orange. Combine juice, apples, cardamom and half the sugar in a saucepan over moderate heat, cover. Bring to a simmer.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until apples are tender. Remove from heat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer half the apple pieces to the bowl with orange segments.
- Using an electric stick mixer, process remaining apple mixture in pan until smooth. Add pureed apple mixture to orange segments, stir to combine. Set compote aside.
- Meanwhile, to make the pancakes, combine bread mix and remaining sugar in a bowl. Whisk buttermilk and eggs in a separate bowl. Gradually whisk buttermilk mixture into bread mix until combined and smooth.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over moderate heat. Brush pan with a little melted butter. Pour 3 tbsp of batter into pan at a time to make small pancakes. Cook, in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until golden and cooked.
- Transfer pancakes to a heatproof plate. Cover to keep warm. Serve warm pancakes topped with compote.
PER SERVING *
|Calories200Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.