Bring the ambience of chestnuts roasting on an open fire to your kitchen this holiday season with this recipe for Gluten-free Chestnut Flour Apple Pie. The crust for this holiday pie is made from a mixture of chestnut and rice flour making this a gluten free treat. The dough is lightly flavored with cocoa powder and marsala wine for a rich crust with a flaky texture that contrasts beautifully with the cooked apple, raisin, and pine nut filling.
- 150 grams chestnut flour
- 100 grams rice flour
- 120 grams powdered sugar
- 50 grams cocoa (bittersweet, powdered)
- 200 grams butter
- 2 egg yolks
- marsala wine (as needed)
- 6 apples (–7 sour)
- 50 grams raw sugar
- lemon juice
- pine nuts
- raisins (Sultana)
- Knead the softened butter with the two types of flour, a pinch of salt, the cocoa, and the powdered sugar into an oatmeal-like consistency.
- Add the egg yolks and a little Marsala wine and quickly knead to combine.
- Shape the dough into a ball, cover it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate it for a few hours; overnight is recommended.
- Peel the apples and cut them into small cubes, place them in a deep saucepan and cook with the juice of 1/2 lemon, the sugar, and a few tablespoons of water.
- Add a handful of pine nuts and a handful of sultanas and cook for approximately 20 minutes, adding water if necessary.
- Turn off the heat when the apples are soft and let them cool slightly.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and cut it into two pieces, one piece should be larger than the other.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin into two round sheets.
- Line a pie plate with wax paper, then add the larger of the two sheets of dough.
- Add the cooked apple filling to the pie crust and top with the smaller of the two sheets of dough, seal the pie edges with a fork.
- Make a few incisions in the pie crust for the steam to be released while the pie bakes, then sprinkle the top with some sugar and add a few pieces of butter.
- Bake the pie at 180C for approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven and cool before serving.
PER SERVING *
|Calories880Calories from Fat450|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat450|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.