Cooked first on the stove top then finished in the oven, man n' cheese is so rich no one will even notice it's gluten free.
- 1 pound short-cut gluten-free pasta
- 6 cups whole milk (divided)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (grated and divided)
- 2 ounces cream cheese (cut into ¼” cubes)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or white)
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Spray a 9 x 13” baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Using a cheese grater or food processor fitted with a grating attachment, grate the cheddar cheese. Set aside.
- Cut the cream cheese into ½” cubes. Set aside.
- Place the noodles, 4 ½ cups of milk, 2 Tbs. of butter, and ½ tsp. of salt in a large pot. Cover the pot with a fitted lid.
- Set the pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, immediately reduce the heat to medium-low so that the milk is at a low boil.
- Cook the noodles in the covered for 10 minutes until the liquid is mostly absorbed, stirring every few minutes.
- Turn of the heat and remove the lid from the pot. Add the cream cheese to the noodles and stir.
- Add the remaining milk, heavy cream, mustard powder, ½ tsp. of salt, and pepper to the pot. Stir.
- Add 8oz. (about 2 cups) of the cheddar cheese to the pot. Use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to stir the noodles until the cheese is melted into a sauce.
- Pour the contents of the pot into the greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese in an even layer over the top of the noodles. Transfer the dish to the oven.
- Bake the macaroni and cheese for 22-25 minutes, until the edges are bubbling and the top is lightly browned.
- Remove the dish from the oven. Allow it to rest for 15 minutes before serving.