This is the best gluten free pizza (and not just because I made it). No more are the days of eating cardboard pizzas!
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour (Authentic Foods brand)
- 1/2 cup white rice flour (Authentic Foods brand)
- 1/4 cup potato flour (sweet)
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar (or other sweetener)
- 1/2 baking powder (tspn)
- 1/2 salt (tspn)
- 1 xanthan gum (tspn)
- 2 1/4 instant yeast (tspns rapid rise)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (+ extra)
- 1 apple cider vinegar (tspn)
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal (for dusting)
- 1 gluten free flour (tspn, for dusting)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Grease a 13 inch round pizza pan or standard cookie sheet and dust with flour and corn meal. Combine the yeast, apple cider vinegar, oil and water in a bowl and set aside to allow the yeast to hydrate. In a large mixing bowl combine the tapioca flour, brown rice flour, white rice flour, sweet potato flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix on low (use the paddle attachment for Kitchenaid mixers then once combined, switch to the dough hook to knead). Once the dry ingredients have combined with the wet, scrape down the sides and mix on low for three minutes. After three minutes lightly oil hands and start to shape the dough into a flat disc. Lay the dough onto the prepared pizza pan and flatten from the middle out using the palm of your hand. You can also use a rolling pin. Leave the edges thick for the crust. Loosely cover the dough with wax paper and place in the oven to rise for 25 minutes. Turn off the oven while it is rising. After 25 minutes remove the dough from the oven and place it on the stove top or draft free counter top still covered. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Once the oven comes to temperature remove the wax paper from the dough, spritz the edges with water (optional-prevents cracking), and place the dough on the bottom rack. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Then remove from the oven and let cool for about ten minutes. Once cooled coat the edges with oil (I like to use olive oil for this). Now it's ready for toppings. Once toppings are added place back into the oven on the middle rack and bake for about 10-12 minutes. For a crisp crust bake directly on oven rack.
- Recipe for Pizza Toppings: 2 1/2 ounces precooked breakfast sausage (omit for vegan) 3-4 ounces Daiya brand imitation mozzarella shreds 4 Tablespoons tomato sauce or dairy free pesto 6 ounces spinach, chopped 1 clove garlic, crushed 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil salt In a bowl, mix the garlic, spinach, olive oil and salt. Evenly spread a thin layer of tomato sauce or dairy free pesto onto the pizza crust. Then add the spinach mix, sausage and Daiya "cheese". Bake in the oven on the middle rack for 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees.