- 32 cups frozen blackberries (or 4 fresh blackberries)
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar (+ 1, for sprinkling)
- 1/2 zest (a lemon)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons blanched almond flour (C+ 2)
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 5 tablespoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread (vegan butter)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 almond milk (or preferred milk alternative)
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the blackberries, 1/2 C sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Here's a little trick: hold the micro-plane zester upside down to catch all the zest, then empty into bowl.
- Butter a 9 x 11 in glass dish and pour in the blackberries.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- While that is baking, mix together the almond milk and vinegar, set aside.
- Now lets make the biscuit topping: In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, and sugar.
- With a pastry cutter or fork, cut in the butter until it resembles small balls in the flour.
- Right before the berries come out of the oven, add in the eggs and buttermilk. Combine well.
- After you take the berries out of the oven, increase the temperature to 400 degrees.
- Tear off little pieces of the batter and drop onto the berries until it is fully covered.
- Slightly flatten the biscuit topping.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake for 17-23 minutes, or until the top is browned. Delicious!