- 5 eggs (separated)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 15 ounces sweet cherries (cans dark, pitted and drained)
- 1 cup dark chocolate (shaved)
- Preheat the oven to 325 °F. Line the bottom of an 8 inch springform pan with parchment paper. Beat the egg whites and 3 tbsp cold water until forming stiff peaks, gradually adding the sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time. Sift in the flour and cocoa and mix in. Spoon into the pan and smooth out. Bake for 30-35 mins, until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- Turn out of the pan and peel off the baking paper. Cut horizontally into 3 equal pieces, by inserting a knife into the center and rotating the cake around it. Place the bottom cake on a cake plate and place a cake ring around it.
- Whip 1 1/2 cups of cream with 1 tsp vanilla extract until forming stiff peaks. Spread half over the bottom cake. Set aside 12 cherries to decorate, and distribute half the remainder over the cream. Press the second cake gently on top. Spread with the remaining whipped cream and cherries onto the middle cake. Press the last cake gently on top. Chill for 30 mins.
- Whip 1 1/2 cups of cream until forming stiff peaks and spoon half into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle. Remove the cake ring and spread the top and sides with the remaining cream. Stick two-thirds of the chocolate shavings around the edge.
- Pipe 12 swirls of cream around the cake and top with the reserved cherries. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate over the top. Chill for 20 mins.
PER SERVING *
|Calories330Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.