- 2.5 kilograms ham (cured, joint)
- 3 onions (medium, 2 quartered and 1 finely sliced)
- 500 grams carrots (200g chopped and 300g grated)
- 15 juniper berries
- 10 peppercorns
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 kilogram cabbage (finely sliced)
- 2 apples (1 1/2 grated and 1/2 cut into wedges)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 800 grams potatoes (grated)
- 2 medium eggs
- 50 grams lardons
- 50 grams potato flour
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 50 grams apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 125 milliliters barbecue sauce
- 20 grams butter
- 150 grams sour cream
- 75 grams mayonnaise
- 6 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Place the ham in a large pot and cover with water. Add the quartered onions, chopped carrots, juniper berries, peppercorns and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 2 1/4 hours.
- In a pan, mix the cabbage, grated carrot and grated apples. Season with salt and 1/2 tsp sugar and mix well, then set aside.
- For the rösti, mix the potatoes, chopped onion, eggs, lardons and potato flour. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. For the glaze, mix the apricot jam, mustard and barbecue sauce. Lift the ham out of the cooking liquid and place on a roasting tray. Cut the fat from the ham, score the meat and spread on the glaze. Take 1 2/3 cup of the cooking liquid, pour into the roasting tray and roast for about 25 minutes.
- To cook the rösti, heat the butter in 2 pans, divide the mixture between the two pans and cook for 7-8 minutes on both sides until golden brown.
- Mix the sour cream and mayonnaise together then mix into the cabbage mixture.
- Remove the ham from the oven, set aside and keep warm. Transfer the roasting juices to a pan, bring to a boil and cook for 6-8 minutes until thickened.
- To serve, carve the ham and serve with cabbage salad, slices of rösti and apple slices. Pour the gravy over the meat and garnish the dish with chopped parsley.