- 1/4 tablespoon pearl barley (Cup or 4 Of)
- 1 packet ginkgo nut
- 1/2 packet bean curd sheet (Of Dessert)
- rock sugar (Cane/, To Taste)
- 1 3/4 water (litrs Of)
- 3 pieces pandan leaves (wash and tied into knot)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- Rinse barley in several changes of water until water runs clear. Set aside.
- Bring about 1.8 litres of water to boil, low the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes together with the pandan leaves.
- Meanwhile rinse the ginkgo nuts, drain well and using a toothpick to gently remove the germ out of the nuts which are bitter to taste.
- Next marinated the ginkgo nuts with 1/2 tablespoon of castor sugar and set aside for later use.
- Prepare some water in a big mixing bowl or pot, add in the lightly crashed beancurd sheet and soak it in water for about 10 minutes to remove the oil and discard those thick strips which does not soften as it will affect the texture of the dessert. Drained well and set aside.
- When the barley begins to soften and the water turns cloudy in colour, removed pandan leaves and add in the bean curd sheet and ginkgo nuts. Continue to simmer on low heat for another 15 minutes.
- Lastly add in the sugar to taste according to your preference.
- Turn off the heat and quickly stir-in beaten egg till well combined. Serve either warm or cold.