- 18 medium carrots (peeled)
- 4 cups chicken broth (OR vegetable broth)
- 2 cups water (more if necessary)
- 6 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 crystallized ginger (tablespooons, finely minced)
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- black pepper
- Halve the carrots lengthwise and cut into 1-inch length. Place in a large saucepan with the broth and water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook the carrots 13 to 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain and return the carrots to the pot.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the brown sugar, maple syrup and the crystallized and ground ginger. Pour the butter mixture over the carrots and cook over very low heat, stirring occasionally, to warm through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately.