- 4 pears (ripe but firm, such as Bosc, peeled, halved, and cored)
- 4 cups water (plus more as needed)
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar (divided)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 inches fresh ginger (peeled and sliced)
- 1 vanilla beans (split lengthwise and scraped)
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice berries (whole)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated)
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 ounces coconut cream (or the cream from a 13.5 ounce can full-fat coconut milk, chilled for at least 6 hours, 1 can)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Prep your pears. Peel the pears, then using the 8” Chef knife from the KitchenAid® Professional Series Cutlery Set, slice them in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out and discard the core. Set the pears aside.
- Put the water, ½ cup dark brown sugar, cinnamon sticks, ginger slices, vanilla bean seeds and pod, whole cloves, allspice berries, nutmeg, and salt into a 3-quart saucepan from the KitchenAid® Tri-Ply Copper 10-Piece Set and bring it to simmer over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Carefully lower the pears into the simmering liquid, adding more water to cover the pears completely if necessary. Place a round of parchment paper with a small circle cut out of the center over the top, ensuring all of the pears stay completely submerged. Let the pears simmer 15-20 minutes until a thin knife slides in without any resistance.
- Meanwhile, prepare the whipped coconut cream. Scoop out the firm coconut cream from the can into the bowl of the KitchenAid® Artisan® Mini Stand Mixer, leaving behind any liquid. Beat the cream on medium speed, gradually increasing to high until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Continue beating on high until it holds soft peaks. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
- Use a slotted spoon to carefully remove the poached pears from the liquid and set aside. Add the remaining brown sugar and simmer on medium heat to reduce the poaching liquid by half, until thick and syrupy.
- Serve poached pears warm with a spoonful of syrup and a dollop of whipped coconut cream. If making in advance, store all three pieces in airtight containers in the fridge and warm the pears and syrup in the microwave just before serving.
|Calories470Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.