- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 packet active dry yeast (.25 ounces)
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 lemon (zest and juice)
- Stir the warm water, dark brown sugar, and molasses together in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle the yeast on top, and allow it to dissolve for 5 minutes.
- Whisk the oil, buttermilk, egg, and salt together in a small bowl or liquid measuring cup. Add to the larger bowl, along with 4 1/2 cups of the flour. Stir together until incorporated.
- If the dough seems sticky, continue to work in more flour (1/4 cup at a time), until it gathers itself into a ball and pulls away cleanly from the sides of the bowl (you may not need all of the flour).
- Knead the dough for 8 to 10 minutes, then place it in an oiled bowl (lightly covered). Set the oven to the “Proof,” and place the covered bowl on the middle rack. Allow it to proof for 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down, and on a lightly floured surface, roll it out to a rectangle about 1/4-inch thick.
- Spread the soft butter on the surface of the dough, leaving about ½ inch margin on one long edge of the rectangle.
- Stir the brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves together in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the spiced sugar all over the buttered dough, in an even layer.
- Starting at one long side of the rectangle, roll the dough into a long log. Seal the log along the unbuttered edge. Cut the log into 12 equal portions, and lay them cut side up in an 8-inch round skillet or baking dish.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Allow the rolls to come to room temperature, then set the oven to “Proof,” and allow the rolls to rise a second time, for 1 hour.
- Remove the proofed rolls from the oven, and preheat it to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until puffed and golden.
- Beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar together until smooth. Stir in the milk.
- Add the lemon zest and juice and stir until smooth.
- Drizzle the warm rolls with icing and serve.
|Calories460Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.