- 1 1/2 cups flour (all-purpose, spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off with back edge of knife)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (cut into 1/2-inch chunks)
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2/3 cup molasses (mild-flavored, such as Grandma's Original, not Robust or Blackstrap)
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 1 large egg
|Calories200Calories from Fat35|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat35|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Paul 4 months ago
Used Blackstap and turned out great!
Julia K. 6 months ago
this is delicious and easy to make. turna out very cake-y
Jackie 7 months ago
It is really good reminds me of the one my mom used to make. Will make again and again.
Chris S. 8 months ago
a lovely old fashioned gingerbread. I completely enjoyed it.
Talia 10 months ago
So good ! and super soft !
Mason a year ago
It was amazing! Just don’t use too big of a pan like I did because then it becomes thin gingerbread
Michelle a year ago
Soooo good.... if you like ginger cake this is the one.....had to make it twice as the first one was devoured immediately!! V Christmassy too... yum
Calandro 2 years ago
So good! 35 minutes was a bit longer than mine needed. Will probably start watching it at around 25 minutes next time.
Linda L. 2 years ago
looks very much like my recipe. I also add a small handful of mini chocolate chips, and expresso powder to the boiling water. Additionally if I have an apple, I grate and add 1/2 apple
Helen O. 4 years ago
Delicious, with or without icing, even just with sieved icing sugar over the top, it would be just as nice No changes at all to gingerbread recipe!.
chef m. 4 years ago
Cooked this gingerbread as a memory food for my wife and she loved it. I used another orange glaze icing recipe found on Yummly for a topping. The gingerbread is great eaten by itself or with the icing. My oven cooks fast so I browned the top a little too much. It was difficult to tell when it was browning since the gingerbread is dark brown already but it turned out ok. I plan on cooking this recipe again.