Ginger and Molasses CookiesAnanás e Hortelã
There's perhaps no better combination than ginger and molasses to capture the essence of the holidays, and here that dynamic duo is enhanced with ground cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg, plus brown sugar (for more caramel sweetness). Quinoa flour and spelt flour are used instead of regular flours, while baking soda is the leavener to create cookies that are crisp around the edges but still soft in the center, for the best of both worlds.
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 100 grams vegetable margarine
- 1 eggs
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup quinoa flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg (cloves and)
- sugar (for rolling)
- 1Prepare two baking sheets by greasing and lining with parchment paper.
- 2Set aside.
- 3Beat the sugar with the margarine and molasses thoroughly.
- 4Add the egg and mix well.
- 5Sift flour with baking soda, salt and spices and mix into the dough.
- 6Mix until a dough ball forms.
- 7Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- 8Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 9Form balls with the dough and roll in sugar.
- 10Place on the baking sheets leaving space between.
- 11Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden.
- 12Edges should be firm and the centers still soft.