Ground ginger and cinnamon are a match made in spice heaven, and they are also what give these cupcakes their warm and wonderful flavor (and your kitchen it's amazing aroma as they bake). Ground cinnamon is also mixed into the cream cheese frosting that's spread over each cupcake, and even more still is dusted on top before serving. Gingersnaps or other spice cookies would also make lovely and fitting garnishes, if desired.
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup (soup of, or honey)
- 2 eggs
- 100 grams cream cheese
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- biscuits (Spice, for garnishing)
- ground cinnamon (for sprinkling)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a cupcake tray with paper liners.. Add the eggs and sugar in a bowl. Whisk well until you get a pale and voluminous mixture. Add the oil and the golden syrup (or honey) and stir. Finally gradually add the flour with the spices and mix until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared molds, filling them 3/4 full. Bake until cooked, about 20-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping. Combine the cream cheese and sugar in a bowl, and beat well until it is smooth. Add the cinnamon and stir.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, top with the frosting. Garnish to your taste (for example with a mini spice biscuit and cinnamon).