The wonderful flavor and aroma of fresh ginger shines through in this simple yet delicious cake -- and is a great reason to keep a knob on hand (just wrap it in plastic wrap and keep in the vegetabale crisper). You can peel the ginger with a spoon …
or a paring knife) before grating or mincing. Almonds and cinnamon round out the flavors here. Serve the cake warm or at room temperature, on its own or with a dollop of whipped cream on top.
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated)
- 30 grams almonds (grated)
- 100 grams butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Whisk the eggs thoroughly with the cool, melted, butter.
- Mix in sugar, grated ginger, and almonds.
- Add milk, sifted flour and baking powder, and finally cinnamon.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured cake pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick in the middle of the cake to see if it is done. It should come out clean. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan.