Ginger Scallops with Hazelnut ShortbreadOn dine chez Nanou
Impress your dinner guests with this elegant and simple dish. Salty, sweet, nutty, and savory tones all melodiously combine to create this gorgeous appetizer. The fresh, zest, of the ginger downplays the natural saltiness of the scallops while the hazelnut shortbread base absorbs the uniting flavors. Drizzling ginger oil over the scallops lets the flavor be absorbed and saves them from firming up too much during the cooking process. Finish off the dish by serving it on a beautiful bed of thinly sliced vegetables for an elegant appeal.
- 120 grams flour
- 80 grams butter
- 1 small eggs
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- fleur de sel (or any flaky sea salt)
- Espelette Dukkah pepper (Ground)
- 3 carrots
- 5 asparagus (green)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 orange
- 1 piece ginger
- olive oil (10 cl.)
- 24 scallops
- 40 grams ground hazelnuts
- 1Prepare the dough. Combine flour, butter cut into small pieces, salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor or electric mixer.
- 2Mix until you get a sandy texture.
- 3Add the egg, 2 tablespoons of cold water and cream.
- 4Pulse until the dough forms a ball and detaches itself from the sides of the bowl.
- 5Roll out the dough and wrap it with plastic.
- 6Refrigerate for about 1 hour or freeze for about 10 minutes.
- 7Preheat the oven to 210 degrees Celsius.
- 8With a cookie cutter, cut out circles of dough.
- 9Arrange them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- 10Sprinkle with flaky sea salt and Espelette pepper.
- 11Peel the carrots, wash the asparagus and cut the ends.
- 12Using a mandoline, slice asparagus and carrots very thinly.
- 13Blanch the vegetables in salted boiling water for 3 minutes.
- 14Set aside and dry with a paper towel.
- 15Prepare a vinaigrette mixing the oil, vinegar, orange zest and salt and pepper.
- 16Dress the vegetables, and set aside.
- 17In a saucepan over very low heat, pour the olive oil and add the ginger cut in julienne.
- 18Let simmer for about 5-6 minutes, the oil must not boil.
- 19Remove from heat and let steep, covered for about 30 minutes.
- 20Lower the oven temperature to 180 C.
- 21Bake the cookies for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- 22Let them cool down and set aside.
- 23When ready to serve, heat the oven to 250 C.
- 24Arrange the scallops on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper.
- 25Drizzle with ginger oil, season with salt and pepper, sprinkle some ginger and bake for about 6 minutes.
- 26At the last minutes of baking, position the oven rack under the broiler until scallops are well browned.
- 27Top each cookie with chopped hazlenuts.
- 28To serve, arrange vegetables on each plate, place 3 cookies with scallps, drizzle with ginger oil, and sprinkle with sea salt and ginger.
PER SERVING *
|Calories280Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.