Impress your dinner guests with this elegant and simple dish. Salty, sweet, nutty, and savory tones all melodiously combine to create this gorgeous appetizer. The fresh, zest, of the ginger downplays the natural saltiness of the scallops while the hazelnut shortbread base absorbs the uniting flavors. Drizzling ginger oil over the scallops lets the flavor be absorbed and saves them from firming up too much during the cooking process. Finish off the dish by serving it on a beautiful bed of thinly sliced vegetables for an elegant appeal.
- 120 grams flour
- 80 grams butter
- 1 small eggs
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- fleur de sel (or any flaky sea salt)
- Espelette Dukkah pepper (Ground)
- 3 carrots
- 5 asparagus (green)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 orange
- 1 piece ginger
- olive oil (10 cl.)
- 24 scallops
- 40 grams ground hazelnuts
- Prepare the dough. Combine flour, butter cut into small pieces, salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor or electric mixer.
- Mix until you get a sandy texture.
- Add the egg, 2 tablespoons of cold water and cream.
- Pulse until the dough forms a ball and detaches itself from the sides of the bowl.
- Roll out the dough and wrap it with plastic.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour or freeze for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 210 degrees Celsius.
- With a cookie cutter, cut out circles of dough.
- Arrange them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with flaky sea salt and Espelette pepper.
- Peel the carrots, wash the asparagus and cut the ends.
- Using a mandoline, slice asparagus and carrots very thinly.
- Blanch the vegetables in salted boiling water for 3 minutes.
- Set aside and dry with a paper towel.
- Prepare a vinaigrette mixing the oil, vinegar, orange zest and salt and pepper.
- Dress the vegetables, and set aside.
- In a saucepan over very low heat, pour the olive oil and add the ginger cut in julienne.
- Let simmer for about 5-6 minutes, the oil must not boil.
- Remove from heat and let steep, covered for about 30 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 180 C.
- Bake the cookies for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Let them cool down and set aside.
- When ready to serve, heat the oven to 250 C.
- Arrange the scallops on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper.
- Drizzle with ginger oil, season with salt and pepper, sprinkle some ginger and bake for about 6 minutes.
- At the last minutes of baking, position the oven rack under the broiler until scallops are well browned.
- Top each cookie with chopped hazlenuts.
- To serve, arrange vegetables on each plate, place 3 cookies with scallps, drizzle with ginger oil, and sprinkle with sea salt and ginger.
PER SERVING *
|Calories280Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.