Ginger MuffinsLa Cocina de Babel
These ginger muffins are a variant of a traditional Swedish spice cake called mjuk pepparkaka in Swedish. Spiced with cinnamon, ginger, and cloves, these muffins are aromatic and rich in flavor. Bake time is 20 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Decorate the muffins with almond flavored purple sugar for a unique and elegant finish. Best served around winter time with a cup of hot tea or coffee.
- 125 grams butter
- 3 eggs
- 225 milliliters buttermilk (or yoghurt)
- 200 grams sugar
- 225 grams flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (powdered)
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon clove (powdered)
- 100 grams sugar
- 2 drops red food coloring
- 2 drops food coloring (blue)
- 3 drops almond extract (bitter)
- 1Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- 2Grease a muffin pan.
- 3Melt the butter and allow to cool.
- 4Mix the flour, baking powder, and spices in a bowl and set aside.
- 5Beat the eggs with the sugar and buttermilk.
- 6Sieve the flour and spices over the egg mixture and gently blend together with a spatula.
- 7Add the melted butter and continue to stir in gently.
- 8Fill each muffin mold 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes, or until puffy and a skewer comes out clean.
- 9Leave to cool then sprinkle with purple sugar.
- 10To prepare the purple sugar, place all the ingredients in a small sealable plastic bag and shake vigorously until well mixed.
- 11Leftover purple sugar can be stored in the bag.
PER SERVING *
|Calories230Calories from Fat80|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat80|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.