- 3/4 cup butter (chopped, at room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 3 1/4 cups self-rising flour (sifted)
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 maraschino cherry
- 1/2 cup butter (chopped, at room temperature)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a giant cupcake pan. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Lightly fold in flour alternating with milk. Transfer to prepared cake pan and bake for 30 mins. Reduce heat to 325°F and bake for 15-20 mins, or until a skewer comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 5 mins then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make the icing, beat butter until very pale. Gradually add 1/2 the powdered sugar, beating until combined. Add milk and remaining powdered sugar, beating until smooth. Place cake on a board. Cover with icing. Top with a cherry, candles and other decorations, as desired.