German-style Beet and Knodel SaladSobre Dulce y Salado
This recipe for Beet and Knodel Salad takes its inspiration from traditional German cuisine. Sweet and tangy, the boiled beet salad is tossed in a light honey mustard sauce, making it the perfect accompaniment to savory Knodel. Knodel are German potato dumplings that are usually boiled. The Knodel in this recipe are made with gruyere cheese for added flavor and texture. Serve these German-style Beet and Knodel Salad alone or pair it with grilled meat.
- 150 grams bread (toasted, ground)
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onions (minced)
- 75 grams gruyere cheese (ground)
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolks
- ground black pepper
- ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon apple juice
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard
- 350 grams beets (boiled and sliced)
- 5 tablespoons nuts (ground)
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- 1Mix the toasted bread with the milk in a large bowl.
- 2Heat a skillet with a dash of olive oil at medium flame, add the onion, and stir occasionally until the onion looks transparent. Add the onion to the large bowl.
- 3Add the Gruyere cheese, eggs, egg yolk, and salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste to the large bowl and mix until you obtain a thick dough. Cover the bowl with plastic film and let it sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- 4Form dough balls using your hands to form the knodels.
- 5Boil water with salt in a large cooking pot at medium-high flame. Add the knodels to the pot and cook for 15 minutes.
- 6Mix the apple vinegar, apple juice, honey, mustard, and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a small bowl.
- 7Place the beet slices on plates, add 3 knodels, pour dressing on top, sprinkle nuts, and garnish with green onion when serving.
PER SERVING *
|Calories490Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.