- 1 pound bratwurst (5 links)
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 32 ounces sauerkraut (rinsed and well drained)
- 2 medium potatoes (peeled and sliced)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (OR apple juice)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 apple (large, cored and sliced)
- In a large skillet cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Bacon can be drained and set aside for another use. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Cook onion and garlic in skillet over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in sauerkraut, potatoes, water, wine, brown sugar, bouillon, caraway and bay leaf. Add up to 1/2 cup more water, if necessary, to cover potatoes. Bring to boiling.
- Score bratwurst; add to sauerkraut mixture and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are just tender, stirring occasionally. Add the sliced apple; cover and cook for 5-10 minutes more or until apples are just tender. Remove bay leaf and serve.