Spitzbuben are a traditional German cookie made around Christmas time. A layer cookie, spitzbuben are made by sandwiching two cookies together, one with a decorative cut out, with a layer of jam running between. This recipe for German Spitzbuben Cookies makes a scrumptious buttery cookie with a light lemon flavor. After baking the cookies, alternate strawberry and apricot jam to make the cookie sandwiches, or use your favorite jam. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
- 200 grams butter (at room temperature)
- 125 grams powdered sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 350 grams white flour
- strawberry jam
- apricot jam
- powdered sugar (for garnish)
- Mix the butter with the powdered sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the egg white, lemon juice, a pinch of salt, and the white flour. Knead until the ingredients are completely mixed.
- Form a dough ball, cover it with plastic film, and let it sit in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius after 45 minutes.
- Place the dough on the countertop, flatten it with a rolling pin, and form the cookies using a cookie mold. Carve a medium hole in the center of half of the cookies (they will be used as a top for the other half).
- Place the cookies on a cooking tray with a layer of parchment paper, and bake for 8 minutes.
- Spread strawberry or apricot jam on the cookies that don’t have holes, and place the tops on them.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories810Calories from Fat370|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat370|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.