- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon cake flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ounce sweet baking chocolate
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- brown sugar (cup Packed)
- 3 tablespoons butter (or stick mar)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- fat free yogurt (cup Plain)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 egg whites (lrgs)
- cake flour (cup Sifted)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- frosting (Coconut-Pecan, see Recipe)
- Preheat oven to 350 . Coat 3 (8-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray, and dust with 1 tbsp flour.
- Combine cocoa and chocolate in a small bowl; add boiling water, stirring until chocolate melts. Set aside.
- Combine sugars, butter, and oil in a large bowl, and beat at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended ( about 5 minutes ). Add yogurt, extracts, and egg whites; beat well.
- Lightly spoon sifted flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife.
- Combine sifted flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat in cocoa mixture.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pans. Sharply tap once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes, and remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1/3 cups Coconut-Pecan Frosting, and top with another cake layer. Spread with 1/3 cup frosting and top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator.
PER SERVING *
|Calories510Calories from Fat210|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat210|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.