Genoese Flat Panettone CakeL'Antro dell'Alchimista
This flat, yet airy, panettone contains familiar ingredients — raisins, pine nuts, candied fruit — though it forgoes the yeast and cupola shape typical of the Christmas cake. Rum is incorporated into the batter for a kick. It should be cooled completely before serving. Store, well-wrapped, at room temperaturefor up to a week. It can also be tightly wrapped and frozen for up to a month.
- 400 grams butter
- 1 kilogram flour
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 ounces rum
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 350 grams sugar
- 1/2 kilogram raisins
- 100 grams pinenuts
- 100 grams candied fruit
- 1Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 2In a saucepan, melt the butter on low heat and allow it cool.
- 3In a bowl, combine the flour, egg yolks, rum, butter, baking powder, and sugar.
- 4Add the raisins, the pine nuts and the candied fruits and mix well.
- 5Shape the dough into a ball and flatten it with your hands to approximately 3 centimeters thick.
- 6Place the dough on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and make diamond-shaped incisions on the surface.
- 7Bake for approximately 45 to 50 minutes. Cover the surface with aluminum foil if it browns too quickly. Serve warm or store in an airtight container.