- 2 3/4 cups chickpea flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 6 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 medium carrots (sliced)
- 1/2 pound cauliflower florets (about 1/4 head)
- 1/2 pound broccoli florets (about 1/3 head)
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms
- 2 onions (thickly sliced)
- Mix the chickpea flour, salt, baking powder, cumin, and chili powder together in a bowl. Gradually stir in 1 cup plus 1 tbsp cold water until a thick batter forms. Stir in the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large pan until it reaches 350°F, or until it shimmers. Pull the vegetable pieces through the batter until fully coated then lower each piece into the oil. Fry for 2–4 mins (depending on the size of the vegetable), until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towels then serve with pickles.