- 1 leg of lamb (3 1/2-4 lbs)
- 5 cloves garlic (halved lengthways)
- 2 onions (cut into wedges)
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 pounds potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons mint sauce
- 3 tablespoons mint (fresh chopped)
- 1 lime peel (finely grated)
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots (peeled and cut into strips)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (optional)
- gravy (to serve)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Using a sharp knife, make small incisions in lamb. Press a piece of garlic well into each incision.
- Weigh the leg of lamb. Calculate the cooking time: 20 mins per pound + 20 mins (Add an additional 20 mins for well done). Place lamb in a roasting pan. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
- Roast for 20 mins. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Forty mins before the end of cooking time, place the onion wedges and garlic cloves around the lamb. Spoon with any drippings.
- Cook potatoes in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 20 mins. Drain well; return to pan. Add 3 tbsp butter and milk; mash until creamy. Stir in mint sauce, 2 tbsp fresh mint and lime peel. Season.
- Cook carrots in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 10-15 mins. Drain; add remaining 2 tbsp butter and orange juice, if desired. Spoon into a serving dish and sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp mint. Keep warm.
- Transfer lamb from roasting pan to serving platter Let stand for a 5-10 mins. Prepare gravy with pan drippings.
- Using a sharp knife, carve lamb into thin slices. Serve with minted mash, carrots, onion wedges, garlic and gravy.
PER SERVING *
|Calories750Calories from Fat260|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat260|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.