Making a homemade pie for loved ones is a timely project that requires patience, love, and hugs when they take that first decadent bite. This recipe for Garden Apple and Cinnamon Hand Pies combines the sweet and tart taste and texture of garden apples with brown sugar and ground cinnamon for a burst of hearty and delicious flavors that you can count on becoming a family favorite. We hope you and your family love this recipe as much as we do.
- 250 grams all purpose flour
- 25 grams granulated sugar
- 125 grams butter (diced)
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 apples (garden, cored and cubed)
- lemon juice
- 80 grams brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- Prepare the short pastry dough. Pour the flour and 20 grams of sugar in a bowl and stir. Add the diced butter and knead with your fingers, while gradually adding the water in order to form a dough ball. Set aside for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Peel, core and cut the apples into cubes. Put them in a bowl filled with water and a dash of lemon. Reserve until it's ready to use.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface. Cut out 16 rectangles of the same size. Refrigerate them.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, mix the brown sugar and the cinnamon.
- Drain the apples and put them in the spiced sugar. Stir to get the apples entirely coated by the sugar.
- Remove the dough rectangles from the refrigerator. Take 8 of them and brush them with the beaten egg.
- Arrange your rectangles on parchment paper, spacing them appropriately.
- Place a large tablespoon of apple filling on each of them.
- Top each with the remaining rectangles (you may decorate them if you wish).
- Seal the edges with a fork.
- Brush your hand pies with beaten egg and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Bake 30-35 minutes in the oven until they are golden brown."