Gallo Pinto con Platanos FritosPork
Gallo pinto translates as “speckled hen,” and this colorful dish from Costa Rica is indeed a feast for the eyes with chorizo, red pepper, beans, rice, and cilantro. Accompanied with fried ripe plantains and corn tortillas, this is a complete meal. Top each portion with a fried egg, if desired, and garnish with a shower of grated Cotija cheese and chopped cilantro.
- 3/4 pound chorizo sausage
- 1/2 cup onions (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 1 jalapeno chilies (seeded and minced)
- 1 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 15 ounces black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 plantains (ripe, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- soft corn tortillas (warmed)
- 1In a skillet cook the chorizo over medium-high heat, stirring and breaking up, until fat is rendered and sausage is no longer pink; add onion, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeno; cook over low heat, stirring, until vegetables are soft. Stir in cilantro, Worcestershire, beans, rice. Cook to heat mixture through, stirring gently, taste and adjust salt if necessary. Transfer to serving platter. Surround with fried plantains and serve with tortillas.
- 2In skillet over medium-high heat, fry the plantains for 3-4 minutes on each side, until they are golden; drain on paper towels. In small saucepan boil brown sugar and water until sugar is dissolved and mixture is syrupy. Pour off oil from skillet, return plantains to skillet and add syrup; cook the plantain mixture over medium heat, stirring, for 1-2 minutes, until plantains are coated well. Cover and set aside, keep warm or rewarm gently.
PER SERVING *
|Calories840Calories from Fat410|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat410|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.