Galician StewEl invitado de invierno
Hearty and filling, this recipe for Galician Stew will warm you up and fill you up on a cold wintry day. Made in a beef marrow bone broth, this hearty stew features broccoli rabe, pancetta, chorizo, potatoes, and white beans stewed until the individual flavors combine in a harmonization of flavors. Be sure to soak the white beans overnight to allow them to soften before adding to the stew. Serve with crusty bread for dipping.
- 100 grams white beans (dried)
- 1 head broccoli rabe (or green cabbage, cleaned and chunked)
- 1 piece pancetta (optional)
- 2 marrow bones (beef, optional)
- 2 potatoes (peeled and sliced)
- 2 chorizo sausage (smoked, sliced, optional)
- fresh pork fat (reserved, or vegetable shortening)
- 1The night before, cover the beans with cold water and let sit overnight to soften. Drain the next day.
- 2Wash the broccoli rabe very well under hot water and rub the leaves together until running, cold water to release some of their bitterness.
- 3Heat up a pot with water. Once boiling, add the broccoli rabe. When it comes to the boil again, remove the broccoli rabe and immediately immerse them in cold water to stop the cooking process.
- 4In a Dutch oven, add the pancetta, beans, and marrow bones. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and strain off the foam that rises to the top. Simmer 30 minutes.
- 5Add in the potatoes and boil another 15 minutes.
- 6Add the chorizo and the grease and simmer another 15 minutes.
- 7Check to see if the potatoes and beans are soft. If so, remove the bones.
- 8Salt to taste.
- 9In the last few minutes, add back in the broccoli rabe and serve.