- 1/4 cup soy sauce (regular is preferred, but low sodium is fine)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 1/2 apple pear (grated on box grater)
- 2 pounds flanken-cut short ribs
- 2 green onions (thin diagonal slices)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Place 2 lb. flanken cut short ribs in a 1-gallon zip top plastic bag.
- For the marinade, combine 1/4 cup (60 ml) soy sauce, regular is preferred, but low sodium is fine, 3 Tbsp. brown sugar, packed, 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil, 2 cloves garlic, finely minced, and 1/2 apple pear, grated on box grater, in a large bowl. Using a whisk or fork, stir all the ingredients until the sugar is dissolved and garlic is distributed evenly.
- Pour the marinade over short ribs and massage into the beef. About a minute.
- Place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove the ribs from the bag and pat off any marinade.
- Lightly coat a stovetop grill pan with nonstick spray and heat to high for at least 5 minutes. Once you see white wisp of smoke add the short ribs and cook until browned and caramelized. About 2 minutes, undisturbed, on each side. Their temperature should read 145°F (63°C) when done.
- If using an outdoor charcoal or gas grill, wipe the grill grates down with a lightly oiled towel right before cooking to clean any char and debris. This will give you a great grill mark and help the beef from sticking.
- Remove from grill and and let them rest for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with 2 green onions, thin diagonal slices, and 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds.
|Calories280Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.