The Fuzzy Beach Balls recipe was dreamed up prior to our annual beach trip in August 2015. We wanted something fun and unique. The alcohol-infused melon balls (aka: Spiked Balls) adds a fun kick and is the signature ingredient of this drink. Everyone loved, some a bit too much! :)
We're including both the batch and individual recipes below. Release your inner beach! Enjoy and share with friends.
***Use your favorite premium brand of rum, vodka, and juices. We highly suggest staying away from no-name or cheap alcohol. The only brand recommendation is the original Everclear Grain Alcohol for the Spiked Balls.
- 1 ounce coconut rum
- 1 1/2 ounces raspberry vodka
- 2 ounces pineapple juice
- 2 ounces orange juice
- melon balls (2 Spiked, add 2 balls to each cup)
- grenadine (Splash of, optional)
- While our original uses raspberry vodka, substitutes such as pomegranate or watermelon vodka would work. There are many flavored vodkas so create your own version of the Beach Balls Cocktail! How about marshmallow vodka... Sticky Beach Balls, anyone?
- You could shake, stir, or go frozen then add the Spiked Melon Balls (2 per serving!). Freeze some grapes and use as ice cubes. The grapes will slowly thaw then absorb some of the alcohol. Since the mixture should already be chilled, the grapes are excellent substitutes for ice (no watering down). Simple enough and the grapes, like the Spiked Melon Balls, will be fun to eat! Fruit with a Punch! You can add a splash of Grenadine for sweetness and color. Just need sweetness? ....make some simple sugar (1 part water to 1 part sugar then boil/stir until syrup) and pour amount desired. Keep simple sugar in the fridge to use again. If using ice, make sure the cubes are large.
- To make the Spiked Melon Balls, select your favorite melon (watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe...) then use the melon baller to create balls. Add balls to bowl and pour in Everclear until it covers about 1/2 of the fruit. If too much Everclear is used, you will drain and waste because the fruit can only absorb so much. Prepare the Spiked Balls the day before consumption or at least 4 hours in advance. Turn a few times to ensure even infusion of the Everclear. Friendly reminder... Everclear is powerful stuff, 190 proof (95% alcohol by volume!) to be exact though some bottles are sold as 151 proof (75.5% alcohol by volume). Either version is stout to say the least! While it complements this drink recipe, we don't recommend friends toss back a bunch as a snack! As a comparison, the average vodka is 80 proof or 40% alcohol by volume.
- Batch serving of Fuzzy Beach Balls aka: Bunch o' Fuzzy Beach Balls (serves 20 +/-): one 750 ml bottle of Coconut Rum, 1. L of Raspberry Vodka, 46 ounces of Pineapple Juice, 46 ounces of Orange Juice, 46 Spiked Balls, and 1 bottle of Grenadine (optional, splash in each cup as desired).
PER SERVING *
|Calories160Calories from Fat┅|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat┅|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.