Here's an impressive enough starter course or vegetarian main course to serve to guests when entertaining, but so delicious you may want to prepare it just for the family dinner. Breaded and fried zucchini slices are layered with peppery arugula, sliced tomatoes, and fresh figs, and then drizzled with a "dressing" made by blending cream cheese with garlic and other seasonings. It's a wonderful melange of tastes, textures, and temperatures.
- 125 grams cream cheese
- 50 grams soy (cooking cream, or half plain yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon lemon thyme
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- cracked black pepper (to taste)
- 1 zucchini (200 grams)
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- olive oil (to taste, enough to cover the bottom of the pan)
- 4 tomatoes (ripe salad, 400 grams)
- 50 grams rocket leaves
- chives (to taste, optional)
- 2 figs (sliced into rings , optional)
- Cut the cream cheese into cubes and place in a blender. Add the peeled and finely chopped garlic clove, soy cream and lemon thyme leaves.
- Season with freshly ground pepper.
- Blend until smooth. Place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Rinse the zucchini well and cut into 0.5 cm thick slices.
- In a deep dish, mix the flour with the paprika and season with about a tablespoon of salt.
- Cover the bottom of a nonstick pan with olive oil and bring to a medium high heat.
- Cover both sides of the zucchini slices with the flour mixture and fry until golden. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Rinse and slice the tomatoes.
- Place the tomato slices over the arugula. Top with chives, fig slices, fried zucchini and drizzle with cheese dressing.