- 2 boiling potatoes
- 2 pounds beef
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley (Chopped fresh)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (Freshly)
- 1 grated nutmeg (pch Freshly)
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (Freshly)
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (freshly ground to taste)
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs (Fine)
- 5 cups extra-virgin olive oil (for frying)
- In a saucepan, boil the potatoes in salted water to cover until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain the potatoes and peel and mash them while still hot.
- Chop the meat very finely and place in a bowl. Add the mashed potato, eggs, parsley, sage, garlic, lemon zest, nutmeg, and Parmesan. Mix thoroughly and season to taste with salt and pepper. Using your hands, form the mixture into ovals about 2 1/2 inches long and 1 inch in diameter. Coat them evenly with the bread crumbs.
- In a deep, heavy skillet, heat the olive oil to 350 degrees. A few at a time, slip the meatballs into the hot oil without crowding the pan. Fry until golden, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the meatballs to absorbent paper towels to drain briefly. Continue frying the remaining meatballs in the same manner.
- Arrange the meatballs on a platter and serve piping hot.