- 1/2 pound red cabbage (shredded)
- 1/2 bulb fennel (shredded)
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red currant jelly
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 onions (1 finely chopped, 1 cut into thick rings)
- 1 teaspoon capers (drained and finely chopped)
- 1/3 cup pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 eggs (1 separated, 1 left whole)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2/3 cup beer
- 2 tablespoons whole milk (or 2%)
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 pound cod fillet (cut into 4 even-sized pieces)
- 2 cups oil (for frying)
- 4 bread rolls (cut in 1/2 horizontally)
- salad (to garnish)
- To make the red cabbage slaw, mix together the cabbage, fennel, vinegar, red currant jelly, olive oil and 1/4 tsp salt. Set aside for about 1 hour.
- To make the tartar sauce, mix the mayonnaise and sour cream until smooth. Add the chopped onions, capers and pickle relish. Add lemon juice and season.
- To prepare the fried components, mix the egg yolk, 1/2 cup flour, cornstarch and beer until smooth. Set aside for about 15 mins. Meanwhile, whisk 1 egg and the milk and season. Dip the onion rings first in the remaining flour, then the egg mixture, then in the breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Beat the egg white with 1/2 tsp salt and mix with the beer batter. Heat the frying oil in a large skillet, season the fish pieces, then dip in the beer batter and fry for about 4 mins on each side until golden. Remove from the pan, drain on paper towels and keep warm. Add the onion rings to the hot oil and fry for 2-3 mins until golden.
- To serve, spread the rolls with the tartar sauce. Place the fish on top, then the red cabbage slaw and onion rings. Serve with salad on the side, if desired.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1590Calories from Fat1220|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat1220|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.