- 2 pounds potatoes (peeled, sliced)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup lager
- 1 ounce smoked bacon (cubed)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cornichons (sliced)
- 1 bunch fresh dill (chopped, reserve a few leaves for garnish)
- 4 cups oil (for deep-frying)
- 2 pounds fish fillets (e.g., perch, red snapper, cut into chunks)
- lemon wedges (to garnish)
- Cook potatoes in stock for about 10 mins. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup stock. Beat together 3/4 cup flour, egg yolk and beer until smooth. Season then set aside.
- Cook bacon in a frying pan with butter until crispy. Sprinkle with remaining flour and cook briefly. Add reserved stock and milk. Simmer, stirring, for about 5 mins. Season. Add potatoes, cornichons and dill. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Dip fish fillets into batter and deep-fry for about 5 mins, until golden. Drain on paper towels. Arrange potatoes and sauce on serving plates. Top with fried fish. Garnish with dill and lemon wedges.