Fried CodO Meu Tempero
Make these cod cakes for a tapas party or to serve with a salad or braised greens for a family supper. You can even form the cakes ahead of time, refrigerate (covered), and then fry off just before serving. These traditional cakes are simply made with cod, potatoes, and seasonings, with an egg as the binder. The potatoes need to be boiled first and then mashed or pureed, and this, too, can be done in advance.
- 3 slices cod
- 4 large potatoes
- parsley (to taste)
- ground black pepper
- 1 eggs
- oil (for frying)
- 1Boil cod, remove skin and bones and flake.
- 2Cook sliced potatoes in plenty of boiling, salted water.
- 3Drain potatoes and process through a potato ricer.
- 4In a large bowl, add cod and knead with hands to shred well.
- 5Add potato puree and chopped parsley.
- 6Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- 7Mix well. Add beaten egg and mix again.
- 8Heat oil in a skillet.
- 9Use 2 spoons to shape into cakes and fry on both sides until golden.
- 10Drain on paper towels.
- 11Serve immediately.