Whipping up an inspired meal is easy with a zesty, versatile sauce like this in your fridge. Feta, lime juice, and buttermilk make it tangy; avocado makes it creamy; and two kinds of herbs give it loads of freshness. Since the recipe makes 2 1/3 cups, you'll have plenty to try with chips or raw vegetables for dunking, as a sandwich spread, as a topping for crostini, dolloped on roasted beets or carrots, or as a bed for grilled fish. Feta made from sheep's cheese is especially mild and creamy, perfect for this sauce. To make the sauce pourable, add a bit more buttermilk. If you like spicy heat, add as many dashes of hot sauce as your tastebuds will tolerate! The recipe is a Yummly original created by Martha Holmberg.
- 1 jalapeño chili (small, seeded and roughly chopped)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cups flat-leaf parsley (leaves and tender stems, lightly packed)
- 1 cup cilantro (leaves and tender stems, lightly packed)
- 1 avocado (large, ripe; pitted, peeled, and cut into chunks)
- 3 oz. feta cheese (preferably sheep's milk)
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 dash hot sauce (plus more to taste)
- 1 cup buttermilk (or a bit more for a more runny sauce)
- Put chili and garlic in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add parsley and cilantro and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add avocado chunks, feta, lime juice, salt, and hot sauce to processor. Pulse until fairly smooth, scraping down side of processor as needed.
- With processor running, pour in buttermilk and process until smooth. Add a little more buttermilk if you'd like the sauce to be pourable. Taste and adjust salt and hot sauce.
- Serve sauce with chips or raw vegetables for dunking, as a sandwich spread, as a topping for crostini, dolloped on roasted beets or carrots, or as a bed for grilled fish. Store in refrigerator up to 3 days.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories90Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes