If fresh late spring peas are available, substitute for the frozen peas. This chilled soup tastes of springtime, and makes a perfect first course before an elegant ham dinner of Glazed Ham with Dried Cherry Caramelized Onions.
- 1 pound peas (fresh, shelled OR 10-oz package frozen green peas)
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1 pinch sugar
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- nutmeg (freshly grated to garnish)
- carrots (shredded to garnish)
- Place peas, green onion, thyme, sugar and broth in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Let mixture cool slightly. Puree, in batches, in food processor or blender. Stir in milk, season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Garnish servings with freshly grated nutmeg and shredded carrot.
- Serves 8 (1/2 cup servings)