- 1 bread (week old loaf of)
- 1 orange peel
- red wine
- brown sugar
- Place orange peel, sugar, cinnamon and red wine in a pan.
- Let syrup mixture simmer and reduce until thickened.
- Remove orange peel.
- Cut loaf into slices 1.5 cm (approximately ¾ inch) thick and soak bread in the syrup.
- Remove carefully with a slotted spoon and drain.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and fry the French toast for less than a minute, turn and fry the other side.
- Place cooked pieces on paper towel to drain excess oil. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.