This French-style dessert is a great choice to enjoy in summer when strawberries are fresh and in season. A delicate vanilla sponge cake is layered with a rich and tart mascarpone cream and fresh strawberries. A brushing of strawberry syrup keeps the cake moist and adds a little extra bit of flavor. This cake is served cold, making it a great choice for summer dessert.
- 180 grams granulated sugar
- 200 grams water
- 2 tablespoons strawberry syrup (or grenadine)
- 4 eggs
- 130 grams granulated sugar
- 130 grams flour (sifted)
- heavy cream (30 cl., place in freezer when you start)
- 200 grams strawberries (rinsed, hulled, and halved)
- 250 grams mascarpone
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 60 grams granulated sugar
- First, prepare the syrup: mix sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Let cool. Add the strawberry (or grenadine) syrup.
- When you start preparing the sponge cake, preheat oven to 400/425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the eggs and sugar in a medium-sized bowl over a double boiler. Keep the water just to a simmer, do not boil. Using an electric whisk, beat the eggs and sugar mixture on medium speed for 5 to 10 minutes. The mixture should double in volume, be pale yellow, and reach the ribbon stage (this means that when you lift the whisk ove the mixture, the batter should fall slowly forming a ribbon that will briefly hold its shape).
- Remove the bowl from over the water bath and gently stir in the sifted flour in increments using a spatula.
- Grease a round pan and sprinkle with flour. Remove excess flour.
- Carefully pour the mixture into the pan and bake it for 15-20 minutes.
- Unmold the génoise (sponge cake) immediately after taking it out of the oven and let it cool on a rack.
- When ready to proceed to prepare the filling, place the cream in the freezer.
- Rinse, hull and cut the strawberries in halves. Set them aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the mascarpone with the milk and sugar until the mixture is smooth.
- Whip the well chilled heavy cream into whipped cream with an electric whisk.
- Gently mix the whipped cream into the mascarpone misture with a spatula.
- To assemble the shortcake, cut the cake in half horizontally.
- Moisten lightly the two discs with syrup using a brush.
- Spread about 1/3 of the mascarpone mixture over one cake disc.
- Place the strawberries on the cream and cover with the second disc.
- Cover the whole cake with the remaining cream and finally decorate it with some of the remaining strawberries. Store at least for one hour in the refrigerator before serving.
PER SERVING *
|Calories820Calories from Fat260|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat260|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.