This French-style dessert is a great choice to enjoy in summer when strawberries are fresh and in season. A delicate vanilla sponge cake is layered with a rich and tart mascarpone cream and fresh strawberries. A brushing of strawberry syrup keeps the cake moist and adds a little extra bit of flavor. This cake is served cold, making it a great choice for summer dessert.
- 180 grams granulated sugar
- 200 grams water
- 2 Tbsp. strawberry syrup (or grenadine)
- 4 eggs
- 130 grams granulated sugar
- 130 grams flour (sifted)
- heavy cream (30 cl., place in freezer when you start)
- 200 grams strawberries (rinsed, hulled, and halved)
- 250 grams mascarpone
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- 60 grams granulated sugar
- First, prepare the syrup: mix sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Let cool. Add the strawberry (or grenadine) syrup.
- When you start preparing the sponge cake, preheat oven to 400/425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the eggs and sugar in a medium-sized bowl over a double boiler. Keep the water just to a simmer, do not boil. Using an electric whisk, beat the eggs and sugar mixture on medium speed for 5 to 10 minutes. The mixture should double in volume, be pale yellow, and reach the ribbon stage (this means that when you lift the whisk ove the mixture, the batter should fall slowly forming a ribbon that will briefly hold its shape).
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories820Calories from Fat260|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat260|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes