- 4 pounds roast
- 4 onions (mediums, sliced)
- 1 inch baby carrots (bag, 1#, cut half if large)
- black pepper (to taste)
- thyme leaves (to taste, dried)
- bay leaves (to taste Dried)
- 1 bottle Burgundy wine
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- Cut up onions and carrots and combine in bottom of 5 qt. dutch oven. shake some dried thyme leaves over. Lay meat over veg. mixture. (don't brown it or anything). sprinkle some black pepper, thyme leaves and about 6 bay leaves on top of meat.
- Pour whole bottle of wine into pot - don't worry, all the alcohol evaporates. bring to boil, lower to simmer and cook for about 3 hours - until meat is soft. This is a top of the stove recipe. When meat is done, remove from pot, add can of tomato paste, mix and simmer til combined. Return meat to pot and refrigerate overnight. Much easier to cut in slices next day when cold. Reheat to serve. Delicious and very easy, two of my requirements.