Similar to pâté, rillettes is a meat paste originating in France. Meat, typically pork, is cubed and cooked in a brine mixture until tender enough to be shredded. This recipe for rillettes puts its own twist on the classic preparation. The meat is covered in a garlic paste and then placed in an ovenproof dish alongside an herb mixture of bay leaves, thyme, and pepper to which is added white wine and cognac. Slow-cooked for 3 hours, the meat becomes tender and flavorful. Shredded and blended with stock, the meat mixture is then put into jars and covered with a layer of stock and gelatin that will act as a preservative for the rillettes.
- 800 grams pork (lean belly, with skin & in one piece)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 150 milliliters white wine
- 100 milliliters cognac (or brandy)
- 1 sheet gelatin
- Preheat the oven to 150C.
- Grind the garlic with a mortar and pestle into a paste. Spread over the meat.
- Place the meat in an oven-proof dish with the bay leaves, thyme, and black pepper.
- Pour in the wine and cognacup
- Cover the dish with a sheet of parchment paper, then wrap the dish completely with a sheet of aluminum foil so as to form an air-tight seal.
- Cook for 3 hours without removing the lid.
- Remove the herbs, leave the meat to cool, and strain the stock.
- Remove the skin from the meat and shred the meat in large chunks.
- Add the meat with 2–3 tbsp. of stock to a food mixer and blend until smooth and thick.
- Divide into clean jars.
- Dissolve the gelatine in cold water, and heat up the stock.
- Remove from the heat and add the gelatine. Stir until dissolved.
- Cover the rillettes with 1 centimeter of stock and leave to cool until it forms a layer of fat. This will preserve the rillettes and stop the air getting in.
PER SERVING *
|Calories410Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.