- 3 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 3/4 pounds onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (+ 4 sprigs, reserved for garnish)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups beef stock
- 8 slices baguette (toasted)
- 2 ounces gruyère cheese (grated)
- Heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and thyme. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 20 mins, or until very soft. Remove lid and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour, or until onion is browned. Add wine, bring to a boil and cook, uncovered, until most wine has evaporated. Add stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 mins. Season.
- Preheat broiler. Distribute soup between serving bowls. Add 2 slices of toast to each bowl, sprinkle with cheese and broil until cheese melts. Serve immediately with reserved thyme sprigs.
|Calories690Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
James Baker 21 Oct 2018
I added a little garlic. Really added something.
Bernadette Haywood 11 Nov 2017
It was perfect I used bone broth instead of beef broth for lower sodium
Candice M. 12 Sep 2017
With my variations it turned out great! I would definitely make it again! White wine = Sherry Added hamburger to it as well
Lainie 10 Sep 2017
Wonderful flavor and easy to make
Becky R. 14 Mar 2016
Love this recipe, I used mozzarella instead of gruyere, still had fantastic flavour! Yes, I would definitely make this recipe again, This was a hit at my house and we went back for seconds!!