- 3 slices bacon (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion (large, finely chopped)
- 1 stalk celery (finely chopped)
- 2 medium carrots (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth (best quality such as Swanson)
- 1 cup French lentils (lentilles du Puy, or common brown or green lentils)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped, for garnish, optional)
PER SERVING *
|Calories270Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Vicky J. 28 Apr
Perfect, I am making again but trying with beef stock
Tammy M. 1 Apr
A bit too mellow for me and thicker than preferred. Good though.
Joanne C. 3 Feb
Delicious. Make it once/month!
Noodles 24 Jan
I made this without the bacon and it tastes just as delicious! I like to add a squeeze of lemon while serving.
Seana 8 Dec 2017
This soup is pretty tasty, but a little on the sweet side from the tomatoes. I used turkey bacon to make it a little bit lower fat and that worked well. The flavour of the thyme and bay leaves really comes through in the broth.
Belen Mejia-Jarrin 5 Dec 2017
Delicious!!!! We love it!!
Evita P. 16 Jul 2017
soo tasty! great recipe. came out fantastic.
Dr. Tom Hewitt, DC, CSCS 6 Jun 2017
Delicious! With Daddy at the chopping block, my four year old prepared this flavorful soup for our family and was so excited to make something with BACON IN IT!! It turned out amazing, leaving us all going for seconds . . . And thirds!! Also great for our two year old who has allergies: gluten free, soy free, dairy free, nut free etc, but NOT taste free. We subbed Trader Joe's red lentils, omitted celery and only cooked 30 minutes, blending 2 cups in a bullet blender and it was great. Will try to find French Lentils for next time. Thanks! 😎
Mikaela A. 13 Mar 2016
So happy I went with this. 💕 I just added a bit of cumin and used fire roasted tomato instead of regular diced tomatoes. Yumm.
Rabecca L 12 Feb 2016
Loved it!! Easy and delish! Made it exactly as written, and wouldn't change a thing!! Picky husband even loved it!