French BaguettesLa Cocina de Babel
Bring all the smells and essence of your favorite French bakery to your kitchen with these homemade French baguettes. These baguettes are made with a mixture of strong and white flour and require no yeast, using baking powder as the rising agent. Brushed with a cornflour and water mixture after shaping, slashes are then cut into the baguettes before baking for the traditional look. Bake time on these baguettes is 35 minutes, with additional brushing of the cornflour mixture every 10 minutes.
- 400 grams strong flour
- 100 grams white flour
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 300 milliliters warm water
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
- 1Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- 2In a large bowl add the white flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, and baking powder.
- 3Add the water and stir until smooth.
- 4Gradually add the remaining flour, a little at a time, and stir with a fork.
- 5Form into a dough ball, turn out onto a floured surface, and knead until it no longer sticks to the hands and the dough is smooth and elastic. Add more flour as necessary.
- 6Cover the dough ball with a towel and leave to rise in a draft-free place until doubled in size. Test with a fingertip: if the dough sinks when pressed and then regains its shape, it is ready.
- 7When it has risen, flatten the dough on a floured surface.
- 8Divide into 3 portions and shape into batons.
- 9Place the 3 baguettes between the folds of a towel, so as not to lose its shape, cover with another towel and leave to double in size.
- 10Preheat the oven to 200C. and place an oven-proof dish with water on the bottom shelf.
- 11In a bowl, mix the remaining salt with the cornflour and 2 tablespoons of water.
- 12Brush the baguettes with this mixture and score the bread diagonally.
- 13Bake for 35 minutes, brushing with the salt mixture every 10 minutes, until golden and a knock to the base will sound hollow.
PER SERVING *
|Calories610Calories from Fat25|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat25|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.