This rich and decadent flourless chocolate cake tastes like a dessert from a five-star restaurant, and is naturally gluten-free!
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (115g per 1/2 cup)
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (150g per 3/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar (to serve)
- Spray a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray and arrange them on a baking sheet.
- Place the chopped chocolate and butter in a large microwave-safe mixing bowl. Microwave on high in 30-second increments, stirring between each, until the chocolate is fully melted and smooth. Allow the mixture to cool at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Place the eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer on high speed for 3-4 minutes, until the mixture is pale, foamy, and nearly doubled in volume.
- Pour the egg mixture into the melted chocolate. Fold gently with a rubber spatula until the batter is just smooth and no yellow streaks of egg remain.
- Pour the batter into the springform pan.
- Bake the cake on the middle rack of oven for 60-70 minutes, until it is set and opaque on top.
- Check to see that cake is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Allow to cool at room temperature for 10 minutes, then transfer to the refrigerator. Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Run a knife around the edge of the cake. Release the sides of the springform pan. Use a fine-mesh sieve to dust the top of the cake with a generous coating of powdered sugar and serve.