Leftover ham "in the style of Florence". Serve with angel hair pasta and garlic bread.
- 2 cups fully-cooked boneless ham (cut into thin strips)
- 10 ounces frozen spinach (chopped)
- 1 cup mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/4 cup onions (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
- Cook frozen spinach according to package directions; drain well. Set aside. In a small saucepan cook mushrooms, onion and garlic in hot butter until tender but not brown. Stir in flour and milk. Cook and stir over medium-low heat 4-5 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Gradually stir about half of the hot mixture into beaten eggs; return all to saucepan. Stir in ground oregano, pepper and nutmeg. Cook and stir 2-3 minutes more. Stir in spinach and ham. Turn mixture into a 1 1/2-quart casserole; sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese atop. Bake in a 350 degree F. oven for 30 minutes or until heated through.