Flan Pudding / ChallengeReceitas Da Felicidade!
A traditional flan always starts with making a caramel in the baking dish, to coat the bottom and also to enjoy when eating (it's a welcome surprise when you scoop up each bite). When making the custard, you'll need to pay careful attention and do some fairly steady stirring to prevent the cream from scorching, especially around the edge of the pan, so be mindful of scraping that area, too. You'll also need to bake the flan in a hot water bath with a kitchen towel, for even cooking and to ensure the smoothest texture.
- 150 grams sugar
- 1/2 deciliter water
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 2 drops lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Place the sugar and 1/2 deciliter of water in a pan and heat, stirring occassionally, until mixture starts to turn brown.
- 2When the mixture starts to darken, add 3 tablespoons of warm water and the drops of lemon juice. Stir well and remove from heat when thickened.
- 3Tilt the pan to cover the entire surface with the caramel. Set aside.
- 4Preheat the oven to 356°C.
- 5Bring the cream and milk to a boil, using a spatula to skim off any foam that forms. Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat the eggs with the yolks, add the sugar and vanilla extract. Gradually add a little hot milk and cream, stirring constantly.
- 6Add the remaining milk and cream, stirring constantly. Pour the pudding into the caramel lined pan.
- 7Place the pudding into a baking pan lined with a kitchen towel. Fill the baking pan with hot water to create a water bath. Bake for about 35 minutes or until slightly browned.
- 8When finished baking, place the pudding pan on a rack in the oven and run a knife around the sides of the pan to loosen.
- 9Let the pudding cool in the oven, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours.