The intriguing flavor, and irresistible aroma, of these ribs will have your guests asking for the recipe. Ribs make a great “company” meal—just rub, roast and relax. Serve with Cucumber and Red Pepper Salad and Carrot-Pineapple Slaw.
- 2 pork back ribs (slabs, about 3 1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons spices (Chinese five-)
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In small bowl stir together ketchup, molasses, lemon juice, soy sauce and hot pepper sauce; set aside. In another small bowl stir together brown sugar, five-spice, cloves, coriander, salt, paprika, celery seed and black pepper. Rub dry spice mixture over ribs; set aside.
- Prepare medium banked fire in covered grill. Place ribs on grill, away from direct heat, cover grill and let ribs slowly roast for 1 1/2 hours. Remove grill cover and slather ribs with glaze on both sides; cover grill and roast for 15-20 minutes more, until ribs are nicely glazed.